FAQs – Claiming compensation following a fatal injury

My insurance company has advised that I use their solicitor. Do I have to do this?

Absolutely not. You have the right to choose whichever Fatal Injury Claims Solicitor you feel best serves your interests and your insurance company is in no position to force you into choosing a particular lawyer. Given the importance of instructing an expert solicitor, we advise that you make an independent choice.

Who do I bring my claim against

You will need to bring your fatal injury claim against whoever is deemed responsible in full or in part for the fatal injury. This could be an individual or an organisation and in order to win your claim you will need to prove that the accused has been negligent. An expert personal injury solicitor with plenty of experience of fatal injury claims is therefore required to ensure that sufficient evidence is collected. Generally speaking, the defendant will have insurance to cover the cost of compensation and legal expenses.

Bereavement damages – what are they?

Grieving family members can be compensated for their suffering following the death of a loved one in a fatal accident through ‘bereavement damages’. This is a fixed payment which is only paid out under stringent circumstances.

Those who are eligible for bereavement damages are generally:

• The wife, husband or civil partner of the deceased

• The parent of the deceased if they were under eighteen years old

• The unmarried partner of the deceased if the relationship was older the two years

What do services dependency claims cover?

Service dependency claims cover the help and support that your loved one may have made beyond simple financial contributions. Perhaps they maintained your garden, home, or car, or looked after your children and helped with transport. Your solicitor will be able to value these contributions in order to make a services dependency claim.

What do income dependency claims cover?

An expert personal injury solicitor will be able to calculate the amount of income that you reasonably expect to have received from the deceased over the rest of their lives and make an income dependency claim. Possible promotions, bonuses and pension assets will be used to work out the value of this claim.

What am I entitled to claim for?

If you can prove that the accused negligently caused the death of your loved one, you will be able to claim for the deceased’s injury and losses and any possible pain and suffering that they experienced before their death as a result of their injury. Other expenses such as loses of income could form part of bereavement damages or services or income dependency claims.

Dial FREEPHONE FREEPHONE 0800 1404544 for advice on making a fatal injury compensation claim

Finances may be the last thing on your mind following the death of a loved one due to someone else’s negligence. However, it is important to ensure your financial security so that you can get on with the grieving process without financial concerns. Our experienced Fatal Injury Claims Solicitors have the knowledge and skill required to take the stress out of the claim process. So,

  • For your FREE initial phone consultation, dial FREEPHONE FREEPHONE 0800 1404544, or
  • Email us using the contact form below:

Comments or questions are welcome.

* indicates required field