If you are thinking of making a personal injury claim then don’t delay in seeking specialist legal advice. Any accident compensation claim involves strict time limits – if you delay making your claim, you may lose your right to claim compensation for your injury entirely.
The broad rule is that you must start your claim within 3 years of the accident or incident that caused your injury.
The most important limit is to start your claim within three years of discovering your injury . This doesn’t necessarily mean within three years of the your accident, as you may not always be immediately aware that something is wrong. For instance, if you are given a faulty hip implant, it might be some years before a problem becomes apparent.
Injury Claim – 3 year time limits – exceptions
- The 3 year limit starts from when you become aware of the injury. Not all personal injuries are immediately apparent. For instance, an illness caused by your job might not become evident for some time. Issues such as faulty hip replacements can also take years to come to the surface and so you might not know straight away that you have a case for making a personal injury claim. In instances such as this, the 3 year time limit begins when you first become aware of the injury.
- Children who suffer a personal injury. The 3 year limit does not apply to any children wishing to make an injury claim until they are 18 – so if you are injured as a child, you have until you are 21 to make your claim.
- People who are mentally disabled and unable to claim in their own right; for them usually, the 3 year limit only applies when or if they fully recover from their disability. If you think this might apply to you or a close friend or family member, make sure you speak to a specialist personal injury claim solicitor as soon as possible.
Even though 3 years may sound a long time, it’s important to start your personal injury claim as soon as you can. Making your claim at an early stage helps the collection of evidence whilst it is still available, and taking statements from any witness while their evidence is still fresh in their mind.
Don’t delay – Contact our Personal Injury Claim Solicitors today
Considering making a personal claim? Don’t delay – take specialist advice today or risk losing your right to the compensation you deserve.
For FREE initial phone advice and a free first appointment from expert Personal Injury Claim Solicitors you can trust;
- Phone our specialists on FREEPHONE 0800 1404544 or
- Complete the contact form below
Comments or questions are welcome.