Compensation for Your Personal Injury Claim

When you make a successful compensation claim, general damages are rightly paid to compensate your actual injuries, pain and suffering but what about your financial losses? Special damages are paid in order to compensate you for costs incurred through the loss of earnings, medical expenses, travel expenses and care and assistance to name a few examples. If you were the victim of an accident that was not your fault, such expenses can seriously threaten your financial security, and special damages are in place in order to ensure that you are properly reimbursed.

Your Personal Injury Claim – recovering lost earnings

If your injury has forced you into taking time off work and you have lost earnings as a result, it is important that your loss can be verified and calculated. You must therefore provide 13 weeks of payslips exhibiting your earnings prior to the incident, as well as any payslips received after the accident in order to demonstrate any subtractions.

If you are self employed, a copy of your accounts for the year of the accident as well as the 3 years beforehand will be needed. Such documents can easily be misplaced, so don’t worry if you cannot find them, your accountant or employer will usually have a copy.

Recovering medical expenses

Your medical expenses can also be easily calculated. Simply bring the receipts for any medicines, drugs or prescriptions and your solicitor can work to recover the costs.

Travel costs

Similarly, special damages may be paid if you have been forced into costly and unnecessary travel as a result of your accident, such as trips to the doctors, or hospital appointments. Taxi fares, bus fares, extra fuel costs and parking fees would all be covered and if you are unable to drive due to your injuries, then the cost of transport to the shops or to work could be reclaimed. Again, you should keep receipts for all such expenses or note any extra mileage if you’re driving.

Extra help at home

As you recover from your personal injury, you may require extra help at home from friends, family or even professionals. Domestic chores such as shopping or cleaning and even personal care such as bathing and dressing can become very challenging when injured. If you pay for professional assistance you should keep any receipts but if you require the help of friends or family, the loss will be quantified on a standard hourly basis instead. You may also be able to claim for additional costs involved in adapting your home or in getting hold of any specialised equipment you may need.

Other expenses

In addition to the categories above, when making a personal injury claim, you can also claim for compensation for other expenses, which can cover a wide variety of losses – it’s best to speak to a specialist personal injury solicitor about what you can, and cannot claim, but in general, such expenses can include the following :-

o replacement clothing

o compensation for a lost holiday

o costs of repairing or storing your vehicle after a traffic accident

o items bought because of the injuries, eg larger clothes or shoes while in plaster

o any phone and postal costs incurred by you in making your claim

o costs of larger clothing or shoes which you needed to buy while you had one or more limbs in plaster.

It is important to remember that even if you can provide evidence to support all of your losses; it may not be deemed necessary to reimburse certain costs if they are considered unreasonable in relation to your injuries.

Contact our Personal Injury Compensation Solicitors today

For FREE phone advice and a free first appointment from expert Injury Claim Solicitors you can rely on;

• Call us on FREEPHONE 0800 1404544 or

• Complete the contact form below

Comments or questions are welcome.

* indicates required field